Thursday 21 May 2015


Fox Manor

The Attic - The Night Nursery




Hello everyone,

I hope you are all well!

Thank you for your kind comments on The Playroom, and, again, welcome to my new followers!

The Night Nursery was well under way by the time I put up my post about The Playroom:) so that's why this post is so close to the previous one!  Mind you there wasn't as much work to do here as there usually is :)

I toyed with the idea of putting a false bottom to the sloping walls to create more 'flat wall' space, but I decided to leave the room as is.  If I change my mind, I can still go down that route!  I have similar plans for The Schoolroom, so it leaves each of the three rooms in the attic slightly different. 

The Night Nursery is chock full of gorgeous Bespaq furniture!  I may or may not keep all the furniture I have here in the room; I do have my eye on a beautiful child's brass bed, but we'll see :)

I wanted this room to be a peaceful haven for the wee ones of Fox Manor to lie down and sleep after a busy day of playing.  The older children have their more grown up bedrooms further to the back of the Manor! :)

The walls are papered in Duck Story by Les Chinoiseries.  Being a stripe paper on a mixture of straight and sloping walls, was always going to give a very 'interesting' finish, and I was just dying to see what the result would look like....... and I have to say, I am very happy with it!  I kept the border on the paper as I certainly wasn't going to try to put up coving with all those sloping angles...oh yes, I know my limits!

I made a small chimney breast for the fireplace.
 

The small chimney breast extends out through the roof :)


I have a lovely white fireplace in here from Hearth and Home.  It's placed on the outside (left) sloping wall, but I boxed it in to mimic the chimney breast which would be going out through the roof and papered the sides in the same wallpaper as the rest of the room.


With no furniture!  The lights are off.


The flooring is done with plain wooden planks as I don't think the same care and attention to the detail in the floor would have been given in the attic as in the rest of the Manor.  Nonetheless, it is still central to the décor and, like The Playroom, is stained walnut and waxed.  The dark colour really compliments the pale wallpaper and delicate furniture and gives the whole room a 'warm, rich' feel.

I have two sloping walls in here, as explained in the previous post about The Playroom, but the room is still big enough to house my nursery furniture. Phew!

The Lighting Bug ceiling light!
 

The beautiful brass lamp has a pink tinted shade.  Gorgeous!


The central ceiling light is by Lighting Bug Ltd and I had been itching to use it somewhere in Fox Manor....so here it is!  Again, as with The Playroom, I have decided not to have a ceiling rose.   I also have a lovely oil lamp with a pink tinted shade placed on the drawers at the back of the room, which I think is just fabulous.  The pictures do not do the lights justice when switched on, they are much softer in RL.


There's pink bunny again, I think she's trying out all the rooms in the attic! Ha ha!



I only have skirting board on the 'straight' wall, with the doorway in it.  Once I decided not to do the rest of the walls with skirting, I was a much happier bunny.  It would have been a nightmare to do, and, in all honesty, I think would have looked daft.  The furniture takes up so much room I don't think the skirting is really missed anyway.  My excuse LOL.

Aside from making the housing for the chimney breast there really wasn't much else to do here, although getting holes drilled for the lighting was very tedious...... again, just awkward really :) but I'm happy with the overall result!

Nanny's tray will be filled with her tasty snack for supper :)

I have a little sink unit.  Cleanliness is next to Godliness.....that's what Nanny says!

Lights on....
 
Lights off!

I hope you have enjoyed my Night Nursery.  The décor may be simple, as I feel the furniture is the highlight of this room.  There are still beds to dress, cupboard/drawers to fill.......

My next, and final, room is The Schoolroom :(  While I'm looking forward to decorating the room, it will be tinged with sadness too.....

I still have the outside of the Manor to decorate, but I'm afraid that it's just not going to be the same as designing the interior.....but who knows!!  I could be pleasantly surprised :)

All the best for now and take care,

Vivian



















12 comments:

  1. Hi Vivian, Your nursery is very sweet and the furniture is Stunning! I think that a brass bed would be a wonderful addition and would accommodate an older child or the nanny during nap time. :)) I think that you did a Marvelous job with the striped wall paper which must have been tricky with the slope of the walls and then joining the frieze along the top. Well done with that, and also with the lighting which is really Charming!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vivian,
    Very impressed with how you managed to match the wallpaper in the corner behind the crib!
    That Bespac set is charming.
    I agree that the attic areas would have much plainer flooring.
    Everything looking wonderful.
    Regards Janine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vivian

    I think you have been very clever with the way you have installed the fireplace, it's a neat trick for a very tricky area. The room looks fantastic and I love both of your lights. Looking forward to seeing the school room.

    Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello everyone...
    I have always replied personally to each and every comment that you make on my blog.
    I have just noticed that your comments are coming through to my email as 'no reply'.
    Are you all getting my comments in reply to yours?
    Or will I have to reply here on my blog?
    Your help would be greatly appreciated, as I love to reply to each and every one of you who take the time to write.
    All the best
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vivian! I have not been getting your comments... I am guessing others have not either. You'll have to collect them all up and send them to each of us by email...:0) (Just kidding!) I just figured you were not commenting, never missed them because of that.

    I have to applaud your taking the time to do such precision work as matching those stripes on the Night Nursery! You did a great job, and that is no easy task. I also think that the way you've treated the skirting board is very natural for an attic room. They rarely have the same level of architectural detail as the rest of the house, so it feels very natural the way you've done it!

    I think you will be surprised... While the outside of the house is likely to be somewhat less detailed, it is also what makes everything come together and look more realistic. It is amazing what unregistered details (outside finished in this case) will do to make things "feel" real. Our brains are amazing things...they register things we don't "see" and it all completes the picture. Just let yourself go...look at lots of pictures of houses in the style you like and bring over the most interesting features to yours....It will be just as much fun as the inside... "I guarantee it!".

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Doug, Elizabeth, Janine and Jayne,
    Thank you all for your comments. As you've guessed, I have only discovered that my replies to you all have just gone into the ether!
    Thank you all for your encouragement and I'm so glad you are all enjoying my Manor!
    All the best and take care.
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work Vivian! What a sweet room and the wallpaper stripes have worked really well. I agree with your skirting comment - not sure it's really needed on the sloping walls. Have fun accessorising!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon
      I am very happy without the skirting on the sloping walls. I am usually very particular about my decorating, but on this occasion, I think I made the right choice. The stripes really did work out well......I think it was more by good luck than design! Thank you for looking!
      All the best
      Vivian

      Delete
  8. Wow! This is absolutely beautiful!!! You are very talented :D I wish I could build something like this some day ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheily
      Thank you for your lovely comments. But I consider you to be very talented, for I could never achieve the detail in the tiny little items you make, they are gorgeous. Thank you for stopping by!
      All the best
      Vivian

      Delete
  9. Hello Vivian,
    It is such a charming room. I love the paper you chose and the fireplace is such a nice detail. Well done. You say you did not do much to the room, but in all honesty, I don't think it needed much. Absolutely charming!
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much Giac! The furniture is the star!!
    All the best
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete